6 Things Anyone Who Moves A Lot Knows

As a child, I was raised by parents who decided to move around every one or two years, whether it was because of a job far away, or shifting from an apartment to a suburban town home of our very own. Some people say “Oh I am sorry. That must have sucked,” but in retrospect, you think it was pretty awesome to get cultured in so many ways. Sure, it was stressful at first but I learned to adjust.

funny

If you were one of those kids, you definitely relate to the following list:

1. Everyone assumes your dad was in the army.

And when you tell them he wasn’t, you have to sit through an entire conversation explaining why you moved so much, and how it really wasn’t as bad as they presume it to be.

2. Everywhere you travel, you will have a group of friends close by.

Going to Austin City Limits music festival and you need a place to crash? No problem! You know your bestie from high school goes to UT and she can totally hook you up with a place to stay.

3. You know how to determine which friends are keepers.

With the number of people you have met, you already know which guy is the jerk just by looking at him. You also know which friends are worth hanging on to for life. #squadgoals for real.

4.  College was an easier transition for you than it was for most people.

New place and new friends? You got this! Talking to people and starting fresh is your forte. You probably even have the emotional strength of a Scorpio and emanate confidence to all your peers.

5. When people ask you where you’re originally from, you tell them the place you lived longest or the place you lived last.

Be honest, your answer to this question changes a lot but who is there to check? I think it’s pretty awesome saying you are from New Jersey, Texas, and India.

6. Your personality is a combination of fragments from all the different places you lived in.

You wouldn’t have been the person you are today, even if you hadn’t lived in one of those areas. You got your accent from Kentucky, a huge appetite from Texas, your love for rap music from New York, and met your soul mate on a mission trip to China. Say what?

18 Comments Add yours

1. I can relate to this. I moved a lot too since I got married. Moved 4 times when in Singapore, then migrated to Egypt, moved 3 times, followed my kids for college in NY but stayed in New Jersey, then back to Egypt – oh! So tiring – but yes, very educational. I love it and will do it all over again.

2. dray0308 says:

Reblogged this on Dream Big, Dream Often and commented:
    I would like everyone to meet One More Shot Please!!

Liked by 2 people

3. I moved last year. The one thing I learned was if you stay in one place for a while, you accumulate a lot of junk.

4. I lived at the same address my first eighteen years. I had a few moves in my college years until I moved to Eugene. I lived on a tiny road called Rasor Avenue and lived in three different houses. I have been in my current house in Eugene for fourteen years.

5. zhyxtheman says:

As a military brat, I know these all too well. Are you okay by the way? I’ve been worried about you.

Liked by 1 person

1. Yeah I am absolutely fine. Thanks for asking! Haha why are you worried? I think having an experience like this only helps me grow as a person and it’s good to expect change in life. After all, that is life.

Liked by 1 person

1. zhyxtheman says:

Given some, shall we say, unpleasant current developments, I have been very concerned. I’m hoping things are going well for you and look forward to seeing more of your always wonderful blog.

Liked by 1 person

2. Aww thank you so much. Of course I am a bit shaken up by the ongoing events but I know with the unity showcased at protests and all over the media, we can get through this together. Thanks for checking up on me. Means a lot 🙂 I hope you are well too.

Liked by 1 person

6. CJ Staryk says:

That is great. I moved a lot when I was younger as well. Except, my father was in the army. My earliest memories are Germany, Netherlands, and Italy. Sometimes, I think it built a different perspective in me from the time I returned to the states. I do lovingly blame my parents for my wanderlust.

Liked by 1 person

1. LOL same. I am truly passionate about traveling to new places with fun people. Someday I want to travel the world over the summer.

2. Those are gorgeous countries! Would you want to go back and live there?

1. CJ Staryk says:

Maybe, has to be better than Texas. Although Texas does have some gorgeous scenery. Arid landscapes do have a special place in my psyche.

Liked by 1 person

2. I know Austin and Corpus Christi have some nice greenery and landscapes. Houston is mainly just buildings and fun events.

7. Glad to meet you as I found your blog through Dream Big, Dream Often. I will check your out and follow you to see more of your posts. Happy Blogging

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks you so much! How sweet. I will definitely check out your blog too.

Liked by 1 person

1. Hope you wil like what you see and enjoy some of the treats and dishes.

Liked by 1 person

2. Oooh I am a huge foodie. Of course I will!

3. Fantastic. Hope you will then also participate in our monthly recipe exchange program. Check the following https://cookandenjoyrecipes.wordpress.com/2016/11/19/welcome-to-the-new-monthly-sharing-is-caring-recipe-exchange/ . Wait for the new theme on the 1st of each month and email me your tried and tested recipe link from your blog. I am also enclosing the compilation post of our March theme to check out. https://cookandenjoyrecipes.wordpress.com/2017/03/12/march-2017-share-and-inspire-others-chocolate-anything-chocolate/
        Hope you will participate, its huge fun

Liked by 1 person