If you’ve visited New York City, you have probably either heard of or tasted Levain Bakery’s thick and delicious chocolate chip walnut cookies. If you haven’t, take my word for it when I say these cookies are heavenly. Here’s a copy cat recipe that you can use to make your very own.
LEVAIN BAKERY COOKIES
Serves: 12 Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes Total Time: 22 minutes
1 cup cold butter, chopped
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
2 cups walnut halves
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes and place the cookie tray in it.
- Place cold butter into a bowl. Use two knives and cut the butter until you have little pea-size bits of butter. Turn the mixer on low and use the paddle attachment if you have a stand mixer.
- Sift sugars into the beat butter. Whisk on medium speed for 1 minute until smooth.
- Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture. Beat them in for 30 seconds until just mixed.
- Set the whisk aside. Add the cake flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pulse the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
- Add the chopped walnuts at once and mix until combined well.
- Add the chocolate chips into the batter and mix until combined well.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces about 3 inches each. Shape the cookies with your hands (not with an ice cream scooper) into balls and lay them on the tray. Do not flatten the dough to make them look flat.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes in the regular oven and let them cool for at least 20 minutes before serving. Note: The cookies will be slightly dough-y and raw on the inside but the consistency will be perfect once cooled. Remember this to avoid over baking. If in doubt, check the bottoms of the cookies to make sure they aren’t darker than golden brown.
- Serve with cold milk and tag me on IG @rafafarihah if you make them!